Picture your favorite summer memory, be it a music festival, a road trip, or a day at the beach. More than likely, you can define each summer by the music that pulsated throughout the sunny months. Anybody can get caught up and start moving to the catchy tunes of the day. Because we have just over a month left of summer, here are Secret Stage's favorite songs of summer:
5. I Kissed A Girl (Katy Perry (or really any Katy Perry song)) - “For whatever reason, Katy Perry songs remind me of summer. Probably because she was starting to get popular when I was in high school and it brings back summer memories from that time.”
4. Without Me (Eminem) - “Again, it’s a nostalgia thing. I first started getting into Eminem one summer during high school, and it reminds me of those times.”
3. Paul Revere (The Beastie Boys) - “This song reminds me specifically of when my girlfriend and I first started dating. Her dad met the Beastie Boys back in New York, and he would jam out to this song. It reminds me of bon fires, barbecuing, and summer vacations.”
2. Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ (Michael Jackson) - “Again, not a traditional summer song, but this was one of the first Michael Jackson songs I knew without knowing it. Rihanna’s “Don’t Stop the Music” came out while I was in high school, and a lot of Michael controversy was going on around that time. I looked into him as a performer and artist, and have since studied his career and consider myself a fan of what he has done for music as an art.
1. Footloose (Kenny Loggins) - “Whenever I hear ‘summer song’, this is the song that gets stuck in my head. It’s simple, repetitive, uses that wonderful 80’s synth, and an iconic surfer guitar riff. All of the makings for a terrible song. (And by all accounts, it should be. I mean, it was written for a movie about dancing. It has to be terrible, right?) But for whatever reason, I love it. It represents the carefree elements of summer that, as we transition to young adults, become a source of nostalgia.”
5. All Summer Long (Kid Rock) - "It does help that I went to the Kid Rock concert recently. But this song screams summer. It's in the frickin' title. If you like summer, beaches, boats, and/or drinking, this song will absolutely get you moving and feeling good about summer."
4. Narcoleptics Anonymous (Antevorta) - "First, I have to give a shout out to my buddy Brad, who is in the band. Second, I wish his stuff was on the radio. This song is good, and you can't help but find yourself moving to the music and jamming out a bit."
3. Trap Queen (Fetty Wap) - "I've been jamming this all summer, and I've had my girlfriend send me snaps of that song, cause I sing along to it so much."
2. Girl Crush (Little Big Town) - "I consistently get grief for liking country, but it's still one of my favorite categories of music. I just enjoy this song all around. I can't help but sing along, and I think it's well written."
1. Hood Go Crazy (Tech N9ne featuring 2 Chainz and B.o.B.) - "This song, with some bass, is primo. It just makes you turn it up, put the windows down, and step on the gas."
5. School's Out (Alice Cooper) - "The quintessential 'It's officially summer' song. Speaks for itself."
4. Sunbather (Deafheaven) - "The whole album is great to just put on for a long drive with the windows down, but the title track is definitely my go to if I'm only picking one. "
3. City Of Ocala (A Day To Remember) - "Florida is hot and one of the best parts of summer as a kid was exploring your home town with friends. This song captures that vibe perfectly."
2. With Your Two Hands (The Wind and The Wave) - "The southern feel of the guitars/auxiliary percussion mixed with the upbeat kick just pumps you up. Makes you want to get out and take on the world."
1. Get Lucky (Daft Punk) - "This song encapsulates everything that is summer. Funky uplifting rhythm, soulful vocals, staying up all night, partying, getting laid... you know, a summer obsessed college dude bro beach boys dream."
5. One Week (Barenaked Ladies) - "I fell for a girl in the middle of the summer, and one of our first bonding experiences was our love for the Barenaked Ladies, with One Week being my personal favorite. I've seen it live twice in the years since, and I can't wait to do it again."
4. I Saw Her Standing There (The Beatles) - "Another one I got to hear live, this time from Paul McCartney in 2011. The entire show was incredible, but this is the song I frequently find myself dancing to every summer."
3. Uptown Funk (Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars) - "Summer songs come and go, and this might just be the new kid on the block, but for now, I'm singing this almost every waking second."
2. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen) - "For whatever reason, this is another song that always gets me moving. That can be said for a lot of Queen's music, but this one in particular summarizes my summer months pretty well."
1. Good Vibrations (The Beach Boys) - "The Beach Boys have always been a major part of my summers, and that's largely due to seeing the last 5 summers, including the 50th Anniversary tour. So many of their songs are summer classics, but Good Vibrations is on rotation constantly all summer long.